Hulu update and quick Media Center Studio fix

I just received a comment on an old Hulu/AutoHotKey fix I had done sometime ago to get a better resolution for Hulu streaming.    Seeing this, it occurred to me that since then, Microsoft made some changes that broke Media Center Studio.   Searching the  Australian Media Center Community (which has a couple interesting projects you won’t find on TGB) there are a number of work-arounds suggested, but I found this one the easiest to implement:

Edit C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\Packages\MCEClientUX\dSM\StartResources.dll with a binary editor (gvim) and replace these two references to dSM:

xmlns:Movies = “data://dSM!SM.Movies.xml”
xmlns:TV = “data://dSM!SM.TV.xml”

with

xmlns:Movies = “data://ehres!SM.Movies.xml”
xmlns:TV = “data://ehres!SM.TV.xml”


This should work fine until Microsoft update replaces the DLL, then you just need to make the change again. If editing a binary file is a little too much for you, you’re welcome to try my modified version, though your mileage may vary.   If Windows Update changes the file, shoot me a note and I’ll update the DLL on my site.

Finally, the reader was also nice enough to include two Hulu images to use for creating the icons.

Skyfire for Windows Mobile Phones

I’ve had a Samsung Blackjack for sometime now which I’ve been pretty happy with.    Been thinking it would be nice to have Wi-Fi support, but the Windows Mobile 6.1 web browser pretty much sucks, so instead, I use my wife’s IPhone to surf the web.     I just discovered Skyfire and life is suddenly so much better.   Not only can I now surf the web with a sane interface, I can also watch Hulu from the phone, which Steve Jobs sayeth is not allowed on your IPhone…    Time to seriously consider the Propel Pro or HT Fuze.